Monday, August 24, 2009

Racial Profiling!


The Ma Paul Tofu


After a bit of googling, I determined that Szechuan Gourmet was the closest nearby restaurant well known for spice. The dish in question is the Chef's Mapaul Tofu with Chili Minced Pork. SG also came highly recommended, since the New York Times reviewed it as one of the best szechuan restaurants in New York:

http://events.nytimes.com/2008/07/23/dining/reviews/23rest.html

As a friend and I walked in, the first thing I noticed was that a majority of the customers were speaking Chinese - an encouraging sign. We ordered the szechuan pork dumplings to start and the Mapaul Tofu, the Wok Tossed Crispy Lamb Filets, and a braised whole bass as main courses. The dumplings were served in a sweet/spicy vinaigrette and were excellent. Next came the guest of honor: the Mapaul. It looked evil - cubes of tofu suspended in a chunky red sauce the color pureed chili peppers. The face sweats started as soon as I smelled it. Pour some over some rice, take a bite and... Hm, that's not so bad? In fact, it's delicious - the tofu added sweetness and slight variation in texture to a sauce that was spicy, savory, and just a little salty.

At one point my friend suggested that maybe they toned down the spiciness for us because they figured we couldn't handle it. I was skeptical. But I had to be sure, so after we finished I asked our waitress if that what we ate was the real deal.

"Ah.." she smiled, "no, I make it a little less spicy for you because the Mapaul very very spicy and didn't think you want that."

"What?? How come you assumed we didn't want the full spiciness?"

"You look like you might be tourist, from Europe I think to myself." Now she has a point, both my friend and I are pale and blonde and look like we might have fallen off a fjord and swam over here. But still, the mapaul heat is the reason I came here! Don't try and protect me from myself! Fortunately, the whole meal was delicious so I wasn't upset.

Nevertheless, there was only one thing to do. I'd have to go back and get it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment